Brooke was awarded a Scholarship within the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship and Mentoring Program in October 2011 (for the 2012 Program) and her mentor was Cathy Freeman.
Brooke Stratton was born on the July 12, 1993 and started athletics at the age of 5 years old at the Nunawading Little Athletics Centre. Her Junior athletics career lead her to compete at the World Youth Championships in 2009 where she placed 10th in long jump and two World Junior Championships in 2010 and 2012 where she placed sixth and seventh.
Brooke was selected for her senior debut in 2014 for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow however, was forced to withdraw due to a back injury. In 2015 she competed at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing placing 14th overall. In 2016 Brooke improved her personal best, jumping a distance of 7.05m to break the 14- year old Australian long jump record set by her idol, Bronwyn Thompson. Not long after breaking the Australian long jump record, she placed fifth at the World Indoor championships. Brooke also went on to represent Australia at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games placing seventh in the final.
In 2017 Brooke qualified to compete at her second World Championships in London where she placed sixth in the long jump final. In 2018 Brooke competed at the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast and took home Silver. Later that year she went on to compete at the Continental Cup in Ostrava placing second. In 2019 Brooke qualified for her third World Championships, placing 10th in the long jump final in Doha, Qatar.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- 2019: IAAF World Athletics Championships, Doha – 10th
- 2019: Diamond League Final, Brussels – 7th
- 2018: Commonwealth Games, Gold Coast – Silver
- 2018: Continental Cup, Ostrava – Silver
- 2017: World Athletics Championships, London – 6th
- 2016: Rio Olympic Games – 7th
- 2016: IAAF World Indoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon – 5th
- 2016: Broke the Open Women’s Australian Long Jump Record – 7.05m
- 2015: IAAF World Athletics Championships, Beijing – 14th
Last updated 21/07/2020