Heath Thorpe has been a successful recipient of a Tier 3 Scholarship within the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship & Mentoring Program.
Heath started gymnastics at the age of 7 and quickly developed a passion for the sport. He is now a Senior International Men’s Artistic Gymnast who competes in the all-around event with his strongest and most competitive apparatus being floor, where he is a three-time Australian Champion.
Throughout his younger years, Heath worked his way onto the High-Performance Pathway where he would realise his dreams of representing his country.
In 2017 Heath relocated from Melbourne to Brisbane to pursue his lifelong goal of making an Olympic team by training at the Gymnastics Queensland High Performance Centre. This move was at the age of 16, alone with one other teammate and no family. While his ultimate goal has yet to come to fruition, the move from state to state launched both national and international success.
Since 2017, Heath has made multiple Australian National Teams including World Championships, Universiade Games, and a World Cup to name a few.
Heath is working towards competing in multiple World Championships, Commonwealth Games and eventually, the Olympic Games.
He is also working on life outside of sport with a Bachelor of Communication at the Queensland University of Technology underway in the hopes to have a professional career in Public Relations and Advertising.
Heath speaks of his selection within the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship & Mentoring Program:
“To be named a successful SAHOF Scholarship Recipient is truly such an honour. The Scholarship will allow me to peruse the necessary steps to achieve my ultimate goals without worrying about as many financial stresses. To be a part of such a prestigious program reiterates self-belief in myself and reminds me that I am capable of what I set my mind to. It is a refreshing reward after such a tough and relentless year.”
Birthplace: Werribee, Victoria
Sport: Men’s Artistic Gymnastics
Disciplines: All Around, Floor, Vault
First started: 2008
First Club: Geelong Gymnastics Centre
Current Club: Gymnastics QLD State Performance Centre
Studying: Bachelor of Communication
Aspirations after sport: Pursue a career in Public Relations and use professional skills to advocate and represent companies that drive positive human change and fight for equality.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- 2020: Australian Continental Team Selection – Olympic Selection
- 2020: Pacific Rim Championships – Australian Team Selection
- 2019: World Universiade Games, Italy – 6th, Vault
- 2019: Melbourne World Cup – Australian Team Selection
- 2019: Australian Championships, Melbourne – 2nd, Floor
- 2019: Australian Championships, Melbourne – 3rd, Vault
- 2019: National Club Championships – Vault Champion, High Bar Champion, Rings: 3rd (all Div A)
- 2018: Australian Championships, Melbourne – 1st, Floor (Australian Champion)
- 2018: World Championships – Australian Team Selection
- 2018: Pacific Rim Championships, Colombia – 4th, Vault
- 2018: RD761 Junior International Team Cup, USA – 3rd, Vault
- 2017: Australian Gymnastics Championships – 2nd, All Around
- 2016: Australian Gymnastics Championships – 2nd, All Around
Last updated 28/09/2020