Tyler Orr is a netballer who was awarded a Tier 3 Scholarship within the 2022 Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship and Mentoring Program.
Tyler was born in Adelaide, South Australia in 2000, and committed herself to netball after many successful years in Surf Lifesaving with the South Port SLSC.
Tyler began playing as a six-year-old at Ladybirds Netball Club and found her true passion for the sport as a teenager. She dedicated herself to netball during her four years in the academy program at Cardijn College in South Australia, and received a South Australia Institute of Sport scholarship in 2017. In the same year, she was selected in the U/17 national squad and would retain this spot for three consecutive years.
Tyler’s junior teams won the National Netball Championships three times, and in 2019 she captained the winning team and was named Most Valuable Player in the final. While winning national titles, she also began a Masters of Physiotherapy at Flinders University in 2017, but soon transferred her passion for human movement to Physical Education teaching.
In 2020, Tyler was named as a replacement player for the Collingwood Magpies in the national league before becoming a training partner for the Adelaide Thunderbirds in 2021. That same year, she was selected in the squad for the U/21 World Youth Cup, which was cancelled due to COVID-19.
Tyler strives to one day play for the famed Australian Diamonds netball team, and to encourage young people to live healthy and active lives.
“To be selected as a Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship Holder is an absolute privilege and I am super grateful for this opportunity to grow both as a person and as an athlete. Netball has brought me so many incredible memories thus far, and I am looking forward to progressing even more on and off-court thanks to this program. It means a lot to be picked alongside the other incredible Australian athletes from various sports. I am able to continue to balance the different aspects of my life, made easier thanks to the financial assistance which supports some of the expenses associated with playing elite netball.” – Tyler Orr on being selected as a 2022 Tier 3 Scholarship Holder.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- 2016: National Netball Championships – gold, U17
- 2017: National Netball Championships – gold, U17
- 2017: SASI Scholarship Holder
- 2017: U17 & U19 National Squad Selection
- 2018: U17 & U19 National Squad Selection
- 2019: U17 & U19 National Squad Selection
- 2019: South Australian State Captain
- 2019: National Netball Championships – gold, U19
- 2019: National Netball Championships – Grand Final Most Valuable Player
- 2019: Netball SA Premier League Premiers
- 2020: Netball SA Premier League Premiers
- 2020: Collingwood Netball Club – Replacement Player
- 2021: Adelaide Thunderbirds Netball Club – Training Partner
- 2021: U21 World Youth Cup – Squad Selection
- 2022: Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship Holder – Tier 3