Natalia Drobot is a Canoe/Kayak specialist who was awarded a Tier 2 Scholarship within the 2022 Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship and Mentoring Program.
Natalia is a true multi-sport athlete. Born in Sydney in 2005, she competed in 15 different sports before discovering sprint kayaking at age 13. She embraced the sport’s reliance upon the athlete’s strength, power, speed and technique, and after only a year and a half in the kayak she won the U/16 K1 500m and 1000m at the 2020 NSW Championships, as well as a silver medal in the U/18 200M.
Months later, Natalia won every U/16 event at the national championships and earned selection in the Australian team for the Asia Pacific regatta in Japan and the Olympic Hopes Regatta in Hungary. Unfortunately, COVID-19 caused the cancellation of both events, as well as the Junior World Championships in 2021, for which Natalia was also selected after winning U/18 races as a 16-year-old at national level.
Natalia is equally adept in the surf, winning gold in the U/17 Individual Ski at the 2021 Australian Surf Life Saving Championships, and Paddle Australia subsequently invited her to be part of the Paris 2024 squad designed to develop emerging talent.
Natalia is known for wearing a low ponytail plait during competition, and has her sights set on international competition, as well as a career in sport nutrition and dietetics. She would also like to share her journey with young people to inspire them to participate in sport and physically activity.
“Being a recipient of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship is a humbling and gratifying feeling. It will allow me to excel into the elite level of my sport with the financial assistance and support. I am truly honoured to be recognised amongst other elite athletes representing different sports around Australia. Receiving this scholarship will enable me to further develop as an athlete and assist me on my personal journey towards success.” – Natalia Drobot on being selected as a 2022 Tier 2 Scholarship Holder.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- 2020: Junior Asia Pacific and Olympic Hopes Championship Team – Representative (Covid19 cancelled)
- 2021: Paddle Australia Sprint Canoe/Kayak National Championships – gold, U18 200m
- 2021: Paddle Australia Sprint Canoe/Kayak National Championships – gold, U18 500m
- 2021: Paddle Australia Sprint Canoe/Kayak National Championships – gold, U18 1000m
- 2021: Paddle Australia Sprint Canoe/Kayak National Championships – silver, Open K4 500m
- 2021: Surf Lifesaving Australian Championships – gold, U17 Individual Ski
- 2021: Junior World Championships – U18s Representative (Covid19 cancelled)