Will Cooley has been a successful recipient of a Tier 3 Scholarship within the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship & Mentoring Program.
Will is completing year 12 and during this time he has competed in the sport of Sailing at local, state, regional, national, international, and Youth Olympic events.
Between all this, there’s training on and off the water with high-performance coaches at the New South Wales Institute of Sport (NSWIS). For Will life is eat, sleep, study, sail, repeat… and he wouldn’t have it any other way.
Will’s successes to date include current Youth Sailing World Champion, Australian Youth Sailor of the Year, NSW Institute of Sport Junior Athlete of the Year, Youth Olympic Games representative, Australian Sailing Youth Team, and multiple Australian sailing championship wins.
Will is on a path to becoming a professional sailor together with studying maritime engineering. He is also pursuing Olympic Games selection for Paris 2024.
Will speaks of his selection within the Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship & Mentoring Program: “It is an honour to be a SAHOF Scholarship holder. The Scholarship helps me take a step closer towards my goal for selection in the Australian Sailing Team for Paris 2024 Olympic Games selection. The SAHOF scholarship is both a privilege and an inspiration to receive.”
Discipline: Nacra 17 (Boat Class)
First started: 2012
First Club: Vaucluse 12FT Amateur SC
Current Club: Hunters Hill Sailing Club/Kurnell Catamaran Club
Studying: Year 12
Aspirations after sport: Nurturing upcoming sailing talent. Naval Architecture and Marine Engineer. Working on projects such as SailGP as both competitor and engineer.
Awards, Honours & Achievements
- 2019: Youth Sailing World Championship, Poland – 1st
- 2019: Australian Youth Sailor of the Year
- 2019: New South Wales Institute of Sport, Junior Athlete of the Year
- 2019 & 2018: Two-time Nacra 15 Australian Open Champion
- 2019 & 2018: Two-time Nacra 15 Australian Youth Champion
- 2019 & 2018: Two-time Australian Youth Sailing Team Representative, Poland, and USA
- 2019 & 2018: Two-time Nacra 15 State Champion
- 2018: Youth Olympics, Argentina – Representative
- 2019: Youth Olympic Change Maker (IOC)
- 2018: Nacra 15 Sailing World Championship, Barcelona – 2nd (U16)
Last updated 28/09/2020