Holly Aitken is a triathlete who was awarded a Scholarship within the 2010 Sport Australia Hall of fame Scholarship and Mentoring Program and was paired with Karla Gilbert OAM as her Mentor.
Holly was born in Victoria in 1992 and began competing in triathlon at age 11. She developed her skill and endurance as a student at Ruyton Girls School in Kew she rose to an international level at a young age.
Holly joined the Victorian Institute of Sport triathlon program and soon after enjoyed success. She was the Australian Youth Olympics Champion at U19 level in 2009 and was the youngest member of the Australian triathlon team. Not long after this, she won silver in the National Championship Race ITU Junior event in Hobart and won another silver medal at the Oceania U19 Championships on the Gold Coast.
Later that same year, Holly challenged herself against the best young triathletes in the world and finished 7th at the Triathlon World Championships U19.
Success continued at U19 level and Holly claimed more silver medals, this time in the Canberra Challenge National Series race and the 2XU Super Sprint Race, and even in the Airlie Beach Triathlon, where she contested the Open race.
Honours & Achievements
- 2009: Airlie Beach Triathlon, silver.
- 2009: Australian Youth Olympics Champion U19.
- 2009: Canberra Challenge National Series, silver.
- 2009: National Championship ITU Junior Event, silver.
- 2009: Oceania U19 Championships, silver.
- 2009: Triathlon World Championships U19 7th.
- 2009: 2XU Super Sprint Race, silver.
- 2010: Sport Australia Hall of Fame Scholarship Holder.